Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Sivers Says.... Bye-Bye, Baby!

Read Derek Sivers announcement regarding the sale of CD Baby to Disc Makers on his blog at http://sivers.org/bye-bye-baby .

I can't help but be saddened by this just a bit. It feels like the passing of an era, although Derek does indicate that he "hasn't worked at CD Baby since last year" and has "hardly been there" since 2002. Even so, he has always been the "face" of CD Baby.

I very, very happy for Derek. Well-earned, my friend! It does seem inevitable to me though that CD Baby will start to look and feel a bit more "corporate." I can't help but wonder how long it will take before I and other CD Baby artists start receiving email ads from Disc Makers? Not long, I bet.

Still, I can say one thing for sure. I love the new look of the CD Baby home page. That right there is an improvement.

And, truth be told, if anyone was going to acquire CD Baby, Disc Makers is probably one of the best-positioned companies to do it.

Here's to Derek. Cheers! Thanks for CD Baby. Looking forward to seeing what you invent next!

David Nevue
The Music Biz Academy
http://www.musicbizacademy.com

No comments: